[NTG-context] Indentation within footnotes

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 22:43:47 CET 2015

> Am 15.03.2015 um 19:19 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <ishamid at colostate.edu>:
>
> Hi Pablo,
>
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:24:47 -0600, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos at gmx.es> wrote:
>
>> Changing indenting to {yes, next} only the third
>> paragraph in the footnote is indented.
>
> My guess is that the first "next" is already hardwired into the footnote mechanism. If you remove the "next" it should work. So this works here:
>
> % \setupnotation[footnote][indenting={yes,big,next}]
> \setupnotation[footnote][indenting={yes,big}]
>
> When I had the "next" I got the same result as you.

I will show below the reason for the unexpected behaviour of the next keyword. What you should
keep in mind is that context uses the same mechanism for enumerations, description and note
entries.

In older versions of the mechanism indentation was set before the title and content where placed
but this produces unwanted results when you used the “next” keyword because the title itself
was recognised as first paragraph (see page 1). After moving the indentation setting between
the title and the content (see page 2) the “next” keyword produced the expected output.

The problem is now when make the title part of the first paragraph because the indentation
is changed until we start the second paragraph and the “next” keyword applies now to the third
paragraph.

%%%% begin example
\setuppapersize[A5]

\starttext