[NTG-context] Unicode question

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Mar 12 16:41:59 CET 2015

Am Thu, 12 Mar 2015 08:48:27 +0100 schrieb Manfred Lotz:

> Hi all,
> If I run this minimal example
>
> \starttext
>

> \stopluacode
>
> \stoptext
>

> I get
>
> tex error       > error on line 3 in file /data/tmp/u1.tex: ! String
> contains an invalid utf-8 sequence
>
> and some more lines.
>

> The character above is:
>
>   Character: �
>    Character name: REPLACEMENT CHARACTER
>         Charblock: Specials
>          Category: Other symbol
>           Unicode: U+fffd
>              UTF8: 0xefbfbd
>
> which is a valid utf8 character.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Why is it considered to be invalid?

This is not a context question/problem but related to the binary
(you would get the same error with lualatex or plain)

The luatex code contains the lines (in unistring.w)

if (val == 0xFFFD)
        utf_error();
    return (val);

in a function str2uni. I didn't really try to understand the code
but it looks as if 0xFFFD is used as "invalid marker": If luatex
encounters something that isn't valid utf8 it maps val to 0xFFFD and
then test against 0xFFFD to rise an error.

> 2. Are there other valid utf8 characters which are considered invalid?

The comment in the code says

/* the 5- and 6-byte UTF-8 sequences generate integers

that are outside of the valid UCS range, and therefore

unsupported
         */

--
Ulrike Fischer