[NTG-context] Bibliographies in mkiv - announcement and WARNING!

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Mar 11 19:08:38 CET 2015

On 3/11/2015 9:50 AM, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2015, at 21:28 , Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau at cea.fr
> <mailto:alan.braslau at cea.fr>>
>
>> ANNOUNCEMENT
>
>> We introduced into the core of MKIV a dataset subsystem, not
>> necessarily limited to the generation of bibliographic lists. This new
>> subsystem has been part of the distribution for some time and an early
>> first draft of its documentation had been made available.
>>
>> After putting the new system to heavy use in a real,
>> bibliographic-intensive book project, and after much fighting
>> back-and-forth over specifications and design choices, the upcoming
>> beta standalone distribution will finally contain this completely
>> revamped subsystem.
>> Hans and Alan (also with the help of Thomas and Luigi).
>>
> Hi Alan and Hans,
> Maybe it is a bit early to ask questions already about this new
> bibliography tool. But it really interests me and I do need it.
>
> First of all, I compiled the ME and added a number of my own .bib
> entries and they all came out well. It looks as if I can just continue
> use my existing BibTex database in the new system and continue using
> BibDesk for new items, which is a very good thing. No need to generate
> .bbl’s separately. (Though I hope that ConTeXt will keep the possibility
> to process .bbl’s as before.)

you can load a bbl file and it will be converted into the internal
format and can then be used, assuming the bbl is sane

> My questions are:
> 1 The ME contains no setup, no indication of a particular Bibliography
> style. What comes out in the ME looks like apa. Are there style files
> connected with this system? If so are they accessible for tweaking (I
> need some rather uncommon Bibliography style, sort of apa-like but
> different in many details)?

You need to load apa explicitly but there are some simple defaults for
article, book and a few more.

When you roll out you rown you can do two things (will b eexplained in
manual):

- copy the 'apa' files to 'foo' files
- replace all apa by foo
- tweak
- use foo

or

- define a new one foo
- that defaults to apa
- and only implment changes (with foo setups)

> 2 The \cite-command turns out just some number in square brackets, no
> info on what is cited. Is that a bug?

- it's the default cite rendering

> 3 In the old system I used \dcite[key] for footnotes but \dcite is not
> recognized now. Is there another way?

we are unware of such footnote commands but we do provide mathods to
construct registers and such

upto Alan to explain more