[NTG-context] paragraph footnotes line height

mf massifr at fastwebnet.it
Tue Mar 10 22:58:38 CET 2015

Il giorno sab, 07/03/2015 alle 10.59 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster ha
scritto:
> > Am 07.03.2015 um 00:08 schrieb mf <massifr at fastwebnet.it>:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I'd like to know how I can set the line height of paragraph footnotes.
> > They get the line height set with \setupinterlinespace, whether I use
> > the grid or not.
> > Here's my configuration:
> >
> > \setupnotation[footnote][
> >  alternative=serried,
> >  numbercommand=,
> >  numberstopper=,
> >  numbercommand=\high,
> >  numberconversion=a,
> >  way=bypage,
> >  width=0pt,
> >  location=page
> > ]
> > \setupnote[footnote][
> >  paragraph=yes,
> >  inbetween= \emdash{} ,
> >  location=page
> > ]
>
> \startsetups[footnote:interlinespace]
>   \setupinterlinespace[line=10pt]
> \stopsetups
>
> \setupnote[footnote][setups=footnote:interlinespace]
>
> Wolfgang

I have found a solution, searching with docfetcher for the occurrencies
of "\baselineskip" in all the ConTeXt documentation I've downloaded.
In "LaTeX in proper ConTeXt", at page 26, Berend de Boer shows how to
set the the interline space relatively to the body font size.

My layout has a body font size of 11 points on 12 points of interline
space; I'm using grid snapping (\setuplayout[ ... grid=tolerant, ... ]).

Instead of setting the interline space like this:
\setupinterlinespace[12pt]
I've used:
\setupinterlinespace[1.09\bodyfontsize]  % 11pt * 1.09 = 12pt

This way:
- the paragraph footnotes' interline space is less than the 12 points of
the grid
- Wolfgang's solution works too:
  \startsetups[footnote:interlinespace]
    \setupinterlinespace[line=1.2\bodyfontsize]
  \stopsetups
  but only to widen the interline space of footnotes;

When I try to shrink the footnotes' interline space with:
  \startsetups[footnote:interlinespace]
    \setupinterlinespace[line=.9\bodyfontsize]
  \stopsetups
the only vertical space that shrinks it the one between the bottom of
the main text and the footnotes' top.

Have you an explanation for that behaviour? I'm new to ConTeXt and I
still need to develop a "ConTeXt mindset"; perhaps the people who know
how ConTeXt works will find that understandable.
Any hint is welcome.

Thanks,
Massi