[NTG-context] Sourcemirror at gitorious is closing down, where to find it then?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Mar 10 17:55:31 CET 2015

On 3/10/2015 5:39 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Norbert Melzer wrote:
>> Since gitorious got acquired by gitlab it will shut down its service end of
>> May 2015 (https://about.gitlab.com/2015/03/03/gitlab-acquires-gitorious/).
>>
>> Where will ConTeXts source mirror be hosted then?
>>
>> Will it get transfered over to gitlab? Github? Bitbucket? Sourceforge?
>> Somewhere else?
>
> First: we need a reliable repository

yours isn't less reliable that gitorious as yours stays around -)

> We have a collection of ConTeXt releases that I need to convert into a
> git repository (there was a discontinuity back in October that I need
> to fix, so that we'll have a complete history).

that would be nice indeed

> If someone is willing to spend a few hours fixing/completing the
> script that will turn the zips into git commits, let me know and I'll
> send you my half-finished work.

i suppose i could commit but maintaining a git repos with all these
dependencies is no fun for me

> Second: there are a bunch of (outdated) mirrors that will be brought
> up to date again once the first step is complete
>
> - There is a mirror on GitHub (https://github.com/contextgarden/context)
> - There is a mirror on contextgarden
> (http://git.contextgarden.net/context/context)

> - I conveniently locked myself out when creating a new username
> (context) on GitLab by making a typo when entering the email address
> and I'm not sure where and how to ask for help. Maybe the request for
> username expires after a while if nobody confirms it? Or I could
> hypothetically create that "email with a typo" and resend the
> confirmation email, then disable the email account again. If someone
> can point me out the place where I could ask for unlocking the
> "context" account, I would be grateful. I might just as well try luck
> on the generic email address.
> - I'm not a particular fan of sourceforge. I see no reason to host a
> mirror there. Their user interface is simply horrible. They got a bit
> better over time, but ...

no need as we have the supelec for luatex and so ...

> - BitBucket used to be hg-only. I see no reason not to have a mirror
> there as well (but I don't see any particular need for yet another
> mirror either). If there are enough people who think that having yet
> another mirror on BitBucket as well would be useful for whatever
> reason, let me know.

indeed, a volunteer using that could also keep it up to date

> (I don't know how GitLab works now and whether they fixed that
> annoying bug, but we had some serious issues with the Unicorn server
> behind it. Cloning the repository was often stuck/broken for no good
> reason, just because the server thought that cloning was supposed to
> be done in under 30 seconds, else it broke the connection as "stale".
> Maybe they'll have to fix it now if all those giant projects like Qt
> switch to their service.)

till they sell themselves too -)