[NTG-context] Sourcemirror at gitorious is closing down, where to find it then?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 17:39:54 CET 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Norbert Melzer wrote:
> Since gitorious got acquired by gitlab it will shut down its service end of
> May 2015 (https://about.gitlab.com/2015/03/03/gitlab-acquires-gitorious/).
>
> Where will ConTeXts source mirror be hosted then?
>
> Will it get transfered over to gitlab? Github? Bitbucket? Sourceforge?
> Somewhere else?

First: we need a reliable repository

We have a collection of ConTeXt releases that I need to convert into a
git repository (there was a discontinuity back in October that I need
to fix, so that we'll have a complete history).

If someone is willing to spend a few hours fixing/completing the
script that will turn the zips into git commits, let me know and I'll
send you my half-finished work.

Second: there are a bunch of (outdated) mirrors that will be brought
up to date again once the first step is complete

- There is a mirror on GitHub (https://github.com/contextgarden/context)
- There is a mirror on contextgarden
(http://git.contextgarden.net/context/context)
- I conveniently locked myself out when creating a new username
(context) on GitLab by making a typo when entering the email address
and I'm not sure where and how to ask for help. Maybe the request for
username expires after a while if nobody confirms it? Or I could
hypothetically create that "email with a typo" and resend the
confirmation email, then disable the email account again. If someone
can point me out the place where I could ask for unlocking the
"context" account, I would be grateful. I might just as well try luck
on the generic email address.
- I'm not a particular fan of sourceforge. I see no reason to host a
mirror there. Their user interface is simply horrible. They got a bit
better over time, but ...
- BitBucket used to be hg-only. I see no reason not to have a mirror
there as well (but I don't see any particular need for yet another
mirror either). If there are enough people who think that having yet
another mirror on BitBucket as well would be useful for whatever
reason, let me know.

(I don't know how GitLab works now and whether they fixed that
annoying bug, but we had some serious issues with the Unicorn server
behind it. Cloning the repository was often stuck/broken for no good
reason, just because the server thought that cloning was supposed to
be done in under 30 seconds, else it broke the connection as "stale".
Maybe they'll have to fix it now if all those giant projects like Qt
switch to their service.)

Mojca