[NTG-context] shrink JPGs to some resolution (dpi) ?

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Mon Mar 9 22:54:32 CET 2015

On 03/09/2015 10:12 PM, Harald Koenig wrote:
> any hints to read the original large JPGs, but only write "print quality" 300dpi images,
> or low quaity 75dpi images for speed (and saving net bandwidth when mailing PDFs
> to co-workers of the group)?

Hi Harald,

how about converting the JPEG files with ImageMagick with two
directories (such as print-quality and screen-quality)?

If you use the same image file names, you could also use modes:

\enablemode[print]

\startmode[print]
   \setupexternalfigures[location=/home/user/project/img-print/]
\stopmode

\startmode[screen]
   \setupexternalfigures[location=/home/user/project/img-screen/]
\stopmode

\starttext
\externalfigure[image-filename.jpg]
\stoptext

As long as you use the same filenames and the right mode, ConTeXt will
choose the right file for each format.

BTW, I don’t know whether ConTeXt can shrink image quality, but I think
this workaround could do the job.

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--