[NTG-context] Bibliographies in mkiv - announcement and WARNING!

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Mar 9 19:04:00 CET 2015

On 3/9/2015 6:47 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 03/09/2015 03:14 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>> * WARNING *
>>
>> As details of the interface have changed and the documentation is not
>> quite there yet, do not attempt to use this for any serious project for
>> the moment. And if you are presently using the pre-beta version of the
>> new subsystem that has been distributed with the standalone,
>> DO NOT UPDATE your standalone unless you are prepared to see some
>> changes.
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> I guess the changes only affect to the bibliography subsystem.
>
> I mean, if bibliographies aren’t used, updating to the new beta would be
> as risky as any other update, wouldn’t it?

no, but as there has been some additions to other modules we need to
beta in order to stay in sync .. it's not different from other betas
apart from a change in the way one sets up a bibliography which can
affect some users (no big deal once it's known how, hopefully easier)

the bibliographic subsystem itself is a complex thing using several
other subsystems and it operates on multiple axis at the same time
(datasets, renderings, lists, citations, standards like apa, fallbacks,
clever searching, sorting, tracing, user control, etc) so it took some
time (and a couple of test implementations) to see what way to set it up
works best (it has to fit into the context way of doing); also we
implemented a rather complete apa spec as test but the aps setup is not
yet updated