[NTG-context] Problem with MkIV and TikZ picture remembering

Jörg Weger joerg73.muc at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 7 18:30:31 CET 2015

 > Is that really an mkiv issue? If I understood well tikz has its own way
 > of keeping track of positions independent of context.

Normally yes.

But there is TikZ’ “remember picture” mode. You can produce several
independent TikZ pictures on a ConTeXt/LaTeX/plain text page. TikZ tells
ConTeXt (or LaTeX or plain TeX) to give back the coordinates of those
pictures on the page after the page has been typeset. TikZ can then draw
interconnections between those images which are rendered in an extra run.

In my example the rounded rectangles with the words inside are TikZ
images which are put inline into the ConteXt text by the command

\tikz[baseline] \node[<form of node>, draw, anchor=text] {<text content>}

When I use

\tikz[baseline, remember picture] …

instead I activate the mode explained above and the arrows can be drawn
according to the “remembered” coordinates after ConTeXt’s first
typesetting run.

According to Wolfgang Schuster in the first reply in this thread when
using ConTeXt mkiv – other than mkii – file the coordinates given back
after the first typesetting run look strange in TikZ’ auxiliary so there
seems to be a mistake somnewhere between ConTeXt and TikZ in this regard.

Greetings Jörg