[NTG-context] Incompatibility catcodes of characters in ConTeXt and PlainTeX

Jaroslav Hajtmar hajtmar at gyza.cz
Sun Mar 1 07:24:41 CET 2015

Dne 27.2.2015 v 19:04 Hans Hagen napsal(a):
> On 2/27/2015 5:53 PM, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
>> Hello ConTeXist.
>> Petr Olsak (maintainer of Czech/Slovak support for TeX) helped me with
>> simple typing of sign charts. He made a PlainTeX macro who is working
>> too in ConTeXt (see
>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/230273/typing-of-math-sign-charts).
>>

>> Petr Olsak (not ConTeXt even LaTeX user) was modified PlainTeX macro to
>> work in ConTeXt and asked the question:
>> "Does anybody know why ConTeXt sets catcode of & to 12? This means that
>> it is incompatible with plain TeX".
>
> Which is imo no big deal.
I did not write that he would give redoing some work, after discovering
that catcode & is different than in plainTEX.

>> May I therefore ask , what is the reason that has character & catcode
>> other than in Knuth PlainTeX?
>> There are catcodes of other characters incompatible?
>
> Because the context table mechanisms don't use & (and never used it)
> so ther ei sno reason to make & special. The _ and ^ are also normal
> characters. For now we keep the $ for math (and in math mode the & ^ _
> work as expected).
>
> Although we're to some extend plain compatible it's not our aim, just
> like we're not amstex, latex, lamstex or anytex compatible.

Ok. Thanks for the explanation. I wrote to Peter that developer context
to have a reason, and certainly it would from an ordinary whim not done.
Even so, I am very satisfied with the degree of compatibility.
Practically all of my old PlainTeX macros in ConTeXt work fine.
Thanx
Jaroslav