[NTG-context] Incompatibility catcodes of characters in ConTeXt and PlainTeX

Jaroslav Hajtmar hajtmar at gyza.cz
Fri Feb 27 17:53:58 CET 2015

Hello ConTeXist.
Petr Olsak (maintainer of Czech/Slovak support for TeX) helped me with
simple typing of sign charts. He made a PlainTeX macro who is working
too in ConTeXt (see
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/230273/typing-of-math-sign-charts).

Petr Olsak (not ConTeXt even LaTeX user) was modified PlainTeX macro to
work in ConTeXt and asked the question:
"Does anybody know why ConTeXt sets catcode of & to 12? This means that
it is incompatible with plain TeX".

May I therefore ask , what is the reason that has character & catcode
other than in Knuth PlainTeX?
There are catcodes of other characters incompatible?

Thanx Jaroslav Hajtmar