[NTG-context] Epub format Was: Re: Context to epub: itemize

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Feb 18 17:44:08 CET 2015

On 2/18/2015 3:10 PM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
> Hi Hraban,
>
> Good to know. I will investigate at another time and give feed back.
> I am in the middle of moving, so I do not have much time.
>
> We ought to think of making a export specific to epub in the long run!

The export is not really geared at that, as it's a representation of the
rendering (although structured). The additional html output can be used
for previewing and to what extend it's okay depends on the intended use.

Normally one starts from a neutral source (xml or tex) and then produces
different output. So, for specific epub (or whatever) one can either
start with the original code (xml) or manipulate what comes out of the
export. The export is kind of standard so one can build all kind of
scripts to convert it. There is no universal epub (rendering) solution,
just as there is no universal pdf layout.

Of course the idea is that the default export is good enough for simple
documents. What more gets provided depends on needs (and currently at
least I have no need for epub other than a dedicated pdf suitable for
displays).

Hans