[NTG-context] Placing a box with left-aligned lines on the right border

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:58:49 CET 2015

> Am 18.02.2015 um 11:45 schrieb Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. <LPr at pontex.cz>:
>
> Hello,
>
> how to more easily achieve this?:
>
> ----
> Some text on line       Text in box
>                        Longer text in the box
>                        Shorter text in box
>
>                        |<------------------>|
>                          Width of the box is
>                          that of the longest
>                          text in it
>
>                 |<---->|
>                  Some space between the preceeding
>                  text and the box
> |<------------------------------------------>|
>  Text width available (\textwidth)
> ----
>
> The solution should have the following features:
>
> - Text in the box to be written "at once" with a token (be "\\" or "\par" or another) to go to the next line;
> - The box (wrapping "Text in box", "Longer text in the box", "Shorter text in box") should have no width specified -
> 	it should get it from the longest member (line) in it (in our case: width of "Longer text in the box");
> - Text in the box should be "alignleft";
> - Base line of first text the box to be vertically aligned to the base of the preceding text, i.e.
> 	"Some text on line" to have the same basement as "Text in box";
> - A horizontal filler may be placed between "Some text on line" and the box to fit "text width available".
>
> Two ways that don't go to the goal, just to demonstrate my trials and fails:
>
> ----
> \starttext
>
> % 1
>
> Some text on line\hfill Text in box\par
>                 \hfill Longer text in the box\par
>                 \hfill Shorter text in box\par
>
> % 2
>
> Some text on line\hfill\framed[width=5cm,align=flushleft,frame=off]
>                              {Text in box\\
>                               Longer text in the box\\
>                               Shorter text in box}
>
> \stoptext
> ----
>
> Way 1 - problems:
>
> - The text to be boxed is not written in a "box environment";
> - the text to be boxed is not left-aligned in the box (as it actually is not in a box).
>
> Way 2 - problems:
>
> - The text in the box (\framed) must have width specified;
> - the text in the box "goes over" the line where it is placed, not with first line basement aligned.
>
> So - how to achieve the layout desired?
>
> (Hint:
>
> The situation may be imagined as the top of a letter page:
>
> write "some text to the left", fill with the "maximum space" till you reach the "box for an address" on the right of the current line;
> write address lines left-aligned inside the box.)

Method 1 (frame based):

\starttext

Some text on line
\hfill
\startframed[width=fit,align=flushleft,frame=off,location=top]
Text in box\\
Longer text in the box\\
Shorter text in box
\stopframed

\stoptext

Method 2 (layer based):

\definelayer[letterhead][width=\textwidth]

\setupbackgrounds[text][background=letterhead]

\starttext

\setlayerframed
  [letterhead]
  [preset=lefttop]
  [offset=0pt,frame=off]
  {Some text on line}

\setlayerframed
  [letterhead]
  [preset=righttop]
  [offset=0pt,width=fit,align=flushleft,frame=off,location=top]
  {Text in box\\
   Longer text in the box\\
   Shorter text in box}

\blank[force,4*line]