[NTG-context] Footnotes and Marginal texts

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Feb 15 13:26:05 CET 2015

On 2/15/2015 12:04 AM, Robert Krug wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am working on a document with many annotations of different types,
> and have a couple of questions.
>
> (Before the questions, though, I am quite impressed with ConTeXt so
> far.  It is much nicer to work with than any of the TeX or LaTeX packages
> I have worked with before.)
>
> First, what is the preferred way to get marginal text?  Is \margintext,
> \inmargin, or some other the current best practice?
>
> Second, is there a way to get marginal text for a footnote?  Here is a
> minimal working example:
>

> \starttext
>
> Text for
> the\footnote{A\margintext{Where am I?} footnote.}
> main\margintext{I am here.}
> body.
>
> \stoptext
>

> Finally, is there a way to have different classes of footnotes?  I would like
> to have three classes of footnotes to be displayed something like:
>

> ——
> 1. first footnote of class 1
> 2. second footnote of class 1.
> ——
> a. first footnote of class 2.
> b. second footnote of class 2.
> ——
> 1. first footnote of class 3.
> 2. second footnote of class 3.
>

> That is, the footnotes of each class should appear together, with a “normal” footnote rule
> above them.  Each class of footnotes should also have its own numbering scheme.
>
> Footnotes of class 1 are “regular” footnotes in the main text body.
>
> Footnotes of class 2 will be longer, and will occasionally be more than one paragraph.
> They, also, will occur in the main text body.  To complicate matters, they may have
> marginal notes and footnotes (of class 3).
>
> Footnotes of class 3 are footnotes that occur in footnotes of class 2.

\definenote[NoteA]
\definenote[NoteB]
\definenote[NoteC]

\starttext

     Text for the \NoteA{A\margintext[scope=local]{Where am I?} footnote A.}
     main\inleft{I am here.} body.

     Text for the \NoteB{B\margintext[scope=local]{Where am I?} footnote B.}
     main\inleft{I am here.} body.

     Text for the \NoteC{C\margintext[scope=local]{Where am I?} footnote C.}
     main\inleft{I am here.} body.