[NTG-context] need defaults for \definehighlight

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد ishamid at colostate.edu
Sat Feb 7 02:07:03 CET 2015

Dear gang,

Thinking of present and future documents (maximum flexibility in
converting from format to format), I'm moving from the standard {\em text}
to something like \definehighlight[emph][style=italic]. Here's the
question:

Does ConTeXt contain some default highlights that need not be defined by
the user? It seems that some of the basic ones should have presets. This
helps with at least two things:

1. Document portability (independent of a given style or env file);
2. Editor setups.

As an example of the latter: If I select text in Notepad++ I can do

Right-Click -> ConTeXt Typography -> Emphasize

where Emphasize is defined as {\em }

Right now, whenever I release an update to the N++ editor package (now
years overdue, I know) any user can depend upon this right-click feature.
But if I define

\definehighlight[emph][style=italic]

and set up the editor to implement it; then there is no guarantee that
other users will use the same definition.

As issues of conversion from one format to another become ever more urgent
and common, it makes more sense to use tagged and exportable versions of
the common typographical functions and to standardize a few. So my
suggestion is that we develop a set of default or "official" highlights
for commonly used cases, with a list made available somewhere such as the
wiki. Perhaps redefine some existing 1-parameter typography commands
(\emph, \bold, \scap, etc.) as highlights. Some of these should be kept
short (such as \emph, \bold) given their very frequent use.

Best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid