[NTG-context] Citing a PhD dissertation

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد ishamid at colostate.edu
Mon Feb 2 02:48:38 CET 2015

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 07:24:00 -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
<ishamid at colostate.edu> wrote:

> Dear gang,
>
> ConTeXt currently follows archaic BibTeX conventions in labeling doctoral
> dissertations for bibliography. So we have the tag 'phdthesis' as in
>
> \startpublication[k=hamid98,
>                    t=phdthesis,
>                    a=Hamid,
>                    y=1998,
>                    s=ISH98]
> \author[]{Idris Samawi}[I.]{}{Hamid}
> \title{The Metaphysics and Cosmology of \TeX}
> \pubname{\TeX\ State University}
> \pubyear{1998}
> \stoppublication
>
> The tag gets mapped to 'PhD thesis' in the output. But current English
> style is to use 'thesis' for Masters degrees and 'dissertation' for
> doctoral degrees [See the Merriam-Webster Style Manual or even google
> 'phd
> thesis or dissertation' for lots of confirmation of this]. As development
> of a new mkiv module continues, I would suggest changing this to the
> standard usage. In the meantime: How can I change the label in the
> current
> bibliography system? I tried the following (also attached):
>
> ========
> \starttext
> \setuppublications[alternative=apa]
>
> \setupbtxlabeltext
>    [en]
>    [apa:phdthesis={Doctoral dissertation}]
>
> \startsetups btx:apa:phdthesis
>      \setvariables[btx:temp][label=Doctoral Dissertation]
>      \btxsetup{btx:apa:common:thesis}
> \stopsetups
>
> \startpublication[k=hamid98,
>                    t=phdthesis,
>                    a=Hamid,
>                    y=1998,
>                    s=ISH98]
> \author[]{Idris Samawi}[I.]{}{Hamid}
> \title{The Metaphysics and Cosmology of \TeX}
> \pubname{\TeX\ State University}
> \pubyear{1998}
> \stoppublication
>
> \placepublications [criterium=all] % inherits from \setuppublications
> % \completepublications[criterium=cite] % only works with criterium=all
>
> \stoptext
> ========
>
> But the output is still 'PhD thesis'. How do I get the changes in the btx
> labeltext passed on to ConTeXt so I can get the correct output?

Answer is in context/bib/bibl-apa.tex:

\setuppublicationlayout[phdthesis]{%
    \insertauthors{}{ }{}%
    \insertpubyear{(}{). }{}%
    \inserttitle{\bgroup\it }{\egroup \insertseries{ (}{)}{}. }{}%
    \insertbibtype{}{, }{Doctoral dissertation,}%
    \insertpublisher{ }{.}{.}%
    \insertpages{ }{ p. }{}%
    \insertnote{ }{.}{}%

As Hans explained privately, this is hardwired so the btx labels don't
kick in as expected. May be decoupled at a later date, but till then this
is the key for anyone wanting to fix things.

Best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid