[NTG-context] A note on Arabic names in bibliographies and indices

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Feb 2 01:05:39 CET 2015

On 2/1/2015 4:06 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:
> Dear Syndicate,
>
> The current bibliography handler uses the following for authors:
>
> \type{\author[junior]{firstnames}[inits]{von}{surname}}

Looks mkii cq. th eold bin system ... no more time will be spent on that
(by me).

> Now in Arabic we have something similar to the 'von' field: the definite
> article 'al-', 'ibn', etc. Just as with 'von' we want to ignore them in
> the alphabetical sorting. [On the other hand, ConTeXt cannot currently
> sort its own bbl files alphabetically]. See the linked picture for a
> real-life example (the top-right of the page contains both Dutch and
> Arabic examples):

The new mechanism uses the same sorter as registers and sorted lists.
So, specific wishes can be addressed there.

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnimlactrlqz6ak/arabic-dutch-bib.jpg?dl=0
>
> Now the {von} field works for these Arabic prefixes, but there is an
> issue: There can be no space between 'al-' and what follows (e.g.
> 'al-Haq'). But the {von} field by default adds a space (von Corbin). So
> what to do? One solution is to use \setuppublicationlist[vonsep=] (see
> also attached):

I'm sure we can cook up something. Personally I'd like to get away from
this 'von' and 'junior' thing and use better names, like

initials (by default taken from firstnames)
firstnames
prefixes (unless specificed, taken from surnames)
surnames
postfixes (unless specified, taken from surnames)

we can think of a sort keys as well, so maybe:

author = {[sortkey] firstnames, prefixes, surnames, postfixes}

or

author = {sortkey:: firstnames, prefixes, surnames, postfixes}

(we can have an exporter that exports to a regular dumb bib file for
other usage)