[NTG-context] bibliography again: “von” and “van”

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jan 27 21:50:44 CET 2015

On 1/27/2015 8:16 PM, Keith Schultz wrote:
> Hi Jörg,
>
> Though, generally, the von, as well as a few others, are nobility particles in Germany, but not necessarily always
> noblility particles, but at times signify the place where a persons ancestor came from!
>
> Now, in the case Goethe you are right that he was ennobled. Therefore the von is not truly part of his name.
> He should be listed as you rightly mentioned under Goethe and not "von Goethe“.
>
> It is impossible for a bibliographic system to handle this, so there is no switch for it!

you can try to wrap thing that belong together in { } ... it might work

> So, it is up to the author of a text to set up his entries properly, by putting the von in the right part of the name field.

indeed, not all can be catched in a poorly specified format

btw, context loads the bib data in memory and fields of type author get
split into multiple authors and each is split into parts; most magic is
under our own control so we can always add variants if needed (maybe
some prefix that indicates a german name or so) but anyway this whole
von business is on our agenda