[NTG-context] Issues in export

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jan 20 11:24:54 CET 2015

On 1/20/2015 9:52 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2015-01-19 um 15:44 schrieb Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl>:
>
>>> In raw.xml I’d prefer something like
>>>

>>> Quoth<description detail="footnote" id="1">by Edgar Allan Poe</description>
>>>

>>> or
>>>

>>> Quoth<description detail="footnote" id="1" />
>>>    <description detail="footnote" id="1">
>>>     <descriptiontag>1</descriptiontag>
>>>     <descriptioncontent>by Edgar Al­lan Poe</descriptioncontent>
>>>    </description>
>>>

>>> and in div.xhtml something that works in HTML, like a title:
>>
>> Well, basically the export is visual with a few goodies; a footnote is nothing special unless i intercept it as such and even then it would be 'note' and again something generic it's probably no big deal to provide the crosslinked reference between the items but that would then not be '1' because there can be many 1's. Just collect such wishes and i can look at it when i'm in epub mode again.
>
> Visual might be ok, but please leave out „hard“ formatting like <sup>.

well, that would demand a lot more analysis as technically it can be a
quote or whatever a user has set up ... keep in mind that we start from
typesetting and not abstractions with prescribed rules (so we cannto
demand users to stick to only things that html likes)

if needed i can tag the symbols so that they can be nilled in a css

> The 1 is just a placeholder - doesn’t ConTeXt have some suitable internal ID?

it often has but not exclusive (it can use a namespaces so there can be
several 1's)

> Ok, I’ll start a wishlist.

ok

>> That would be kind of arbitrary and unnatural: why should some content (of a description) suddenly end up as an attribute title.
>
> Just because it works in HTML. Of course it wouldn’t work with long or nested footnotes.
> And of course it’s a matter of taste (and usage of notes) if it makes sense to keep notes at the noted text.

'it works in html' is a weak argument (as html is a rather messy evolved
bunch of tags) .. what works now (or worked in the past) can be
different (or depricated) in the future (take mathml: chrome dropped it)

i think that all these special cases also depend on the usage so there
is always the option of some css or xslt juggling .. the export can only
provide the info (and even then only info is has)

>>> or a link:

>>> </a>
>>
>> an automated link (when no reference is given) sounds ok
>
> Also here I’d use an unique note ID as anchor.

a footnote is a note which is a combination of a floating object and a
notation which is a kind of description which itself is ...

there can be all kind of notes not even being footnotes and although
there is some relation and in most cases only 'footnotes' it will always
need some care in the final 'epub'

i can provide some crosslink info (although that will be overridden when
a user gives explicit references)

(footnotes in an epub are kind of not-done anyway)