[NTG-context] context -> docx ??

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد ishamid at colostate.edu
Sat Jan 17 22:06:25 CET 2015

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 13:32:07 -0700, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos at gmx.es> wrote:

> On 01/17/2015 03:45 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:

>> Similar experience here; see below. But even the conversion to epub had
>> issues, especially in getting the front matter to come out right.
>
> Sorry, what was wrong in the conversion to ePub?

Just getting a simple copyright page prior to the TOC page was a pain. I
ended up having to patch the xml manually (IIRC you helped me in that
thread...)

> Unless you number your headings manually, you won’t get numbers in them.
>
> As far as I know, automatic numbering is impossible in ePub 2 (there
> seem to be no counters available).
>
> Is there any other feature you miss when converting to ePub.

As mentioned above, pandoc seems to have issues in getting the correct
flow for Title-Page=>Copyright-Page=>TOC=>Main-Text. Transmitting this
info to ConTeXt was also problematic. That's why I finally had to decouple
things at the end of the process.

>>> In my opinion, the right way to go is to convert the markdown source to
>>> HTML and to parse it with an environment. Otherwise, updating the
>>> source
>>> is not straightforward (either you have two sources: markdown and
>>> ConTeXt).
>>
>> What do you mean by 'parse it with an environment'? Could you give an
>> example?
>
> Well, the ConTeXt Suite has at least one:
> tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/x-html.mkiv.
>
> Environments are the standard way that ConTeXt has to directly typeset
> XML files (http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/xml-mkiv.pdf).
>
> Sorry, but I cannot send a more elaborate sample right now.

I understand now, thanks!

>>> Why do you prefer to avoid markdown as a source document format?
>>
>> I did a small-book project last year with markdown as source, with pdf
>> and
>> epub output. 95% or so was good but towards the end I had no choice but
>> decouple the context and epub files (so I had to deal with two sources).
>> For that project I would say that the markdown/pandoc workflow was a
>> qualified success.
>
> Well, two sources is suboptimal at best.

Indeed!

>> OTOH I was not the author of that small book. As a writer I am more used
>> to writing in ConTeXt than in markdown; the flow of ideas is less
>> disturbed that way. Closely related, the current project has a lot of
>> bibliographical references and I don't want to manually write a
>> bibliography in markdown.
>
> pandoc itself seems to be able to deal with bibliographies (I have never
> used them myself [either in pandoc, or in TeX]).

Perhaps I'll experiment, but *after* this article is finished :-)

Thanks and best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid, Professor