[NTG-context] context -> docx ??

Alan BRASLAU alan.braslau at cea.fr
Wed Jan 14 18:55:50 CET 2015

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 22:34:21 +0100
Marcin Borkowski <mbork at wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

> On 2015-01-13, at 20:59, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
> <ishamid at colostate.edu> wrote:
>
> > Dear gang,
> >
> > I'm currently writing a paper with very basic typographical needs:
> > blockquotes, emphasis, bibliography, perhaps a graphic or two. The
> > publisher wants the thing in Word, naturally. The last time I did
> > something like this I set up a markdown document and just exported
> > it to both docx and to context. For simple documents this is at
> > least workable, but I'd prefer to write in context, not markdown.
>
> While I /do/ understand you (it's the same with me, only that I'm more
> comfortable with LaTeX), have you considered Org-mode?  It's
> similar to markdown (though better IMHO), but it comes with great
> support in Emacs.  And you get export to odt "for free".  (Also to
> LaTeX, though unfortunately not to ConTeXt; OTOH, writing a ConTeXt
> exporter should be fairly easy, and a simple exporter could be done in
> a few days - the framework for writing exporters to different formats
> is very well done.  Incidentally, there's also a Markdown exporter,
> so you could probably get to ConTeXt via markdown).
>
> > Best wishes
> > Idris
>
> Best,

Org-mode does not simply come with great support in Emacs, it is
essentially an emacs module I believe.

Using ConTeXt (not emacs, markdown, or other such things...) you can
indeed export to xml, xhtml, and create epub files.  How these can get
converted to Word is another problem that is to be addressed to the
MS-Word community.

Hans showed us at the last ConTeXt conference:

MWE:

\enablemode[export]

\startmode[export]

    \setupbackend
      [export=yes,
       xhtml=yes,
       css=export-example.css]

    \setupexport
      [hyphen=yes,
       width=60em]

\stopmode

\starttext

\startquotation
    \input darwin
\stopquotation

\stoptext

The css example file can be found in the standalone:
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/export-example.css

This creates a filename-export directory.

The xhtml file can be read in a browser.
(some tools seem to have problem with the hyphen=yes option)

You will also notice the message:

backend         > export > create epub with: mtxrun --script epub
--make "filename" [--purge --rename --svgmath]

Running mtxrun will create the epub file. I have tested reading it on
an iPad.

There must be some way to get this into Word...

Alan