[NTG-context] Catalan especial character (l·l) in ConTeXt

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jan 8 19:42:44 CET 2015

On 1/8/2015 5:34 PM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
> Hi Hans, All,
>
> Your solution is naturaly better, but I was trying to use \topaccent to
> solve
> the problem.
>
> Yet, in my test I noticed that there maybe a bug in the spacing of the
> Middle Dot in the
> default font of ConTeXt, as you can see using my MWE.

Hard to say ... a designers choice.

> Depending on the font used, the result looks likes 19cat’s LaTeX example!
>
> Of course using \topaccent causes a character spacing to the preceding
> character!
> Here again the result is the worst for the default font of ConTeXt!

Probably because no one ever tested it and provided feedback. One of the
advantages of going to tex meetings is that one can then try to convince
font/macro authors to fix / change.

Anyway, this looks good enough to me:

\startluacode

function document.add_some_characters(target,original)
     local characters = target.characters
     local upper      = characters[0x004C]
     local lower      = characters[0x006C]
     local accent     = characters[0x00B7]
     characters[0x013F] = {
         commands = {
             { "char", 0x004C },
             { "push" },
             { "right", - upper.width + accent.width },
             { "char", 0x00B7 },
             { "pop" },
         },
         width  = upper.width,
         height = upper.height,
         depth  = upper.depth,
     }
     characters[0x0140] = {
         commands = {
             { "char", 0x006C },
             { "push" },
             { "right", - accent.width/2 },
             { "char", 0x00B7 },
             { "pop" },
         },
         width  = lower.width + accent.width/6,
         height = lower.height,
         depth  = lower.depth,
     }
end

utilities.sequencers.appendaction("aftercopyingcharacters","system","document.add_some_characters")

\stopluacode

\setupbodyfont[schola]

\starttext

     \section{PEL·LÍCULES} Vull veure pel·lícules al col·legi

     \section{PEĿLÍCULES}  Vull veure peŀlícules al coŀlegi