[NTG-context] system fonts access under macosx (again)

j. van den hoff veedeehjay at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 24 11:14:20 CET 2014

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 08:41:53 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Am 23.12.2014 um 23:32 schrieb j. van den hoff
>> <veedeehjay at googlemail.com>:
>>
>> thanks to both of you. in fact, just doing `mtxrun —script font —reload
>> —force'
>> restored sane behaviour (italics back again etc.).
>>
>> so, I understand that _this_ actually rebuilds the font data base?
>> what, then, is just issuing `—reload’ good for?
>
> When you make a new installation and context runs for the first time
> it make a scan for all available fonts and store some information about
> each font but this will take some time (although this is now faster than
> it has been in the past).
>
> To add a new font to this list you can use "mtxrun —script font —reload“
> which adds only new fonts to the list which is faster than a complete
> rebuild of the list which is done with the "force“ option.

I see. but could there be some "loose ends" in this? since what happenend
in my case was:

1.
after de-novo installation of `context' standalone, `optima.ttc' was
recognized completely (including italics and bold).

2.
after adding  `ebgaramond' it was not recognized before doing a `mtxrun
—script font —reload'.
so up to here this is perfectly in accord with your explanation. but

3.
at this point `optima' was no longer recognized beyond the `regular'
variant. so something "bad"
happened to the database during step 2 it seems although according to your
explantion it only
should have led to appending information for ebgaramond without affecting
the rest.

4.
the complete rebuild (`-force') restored everything to normal.

just in case this deserves further inspection.

joerg