[NTG-context] system fonts access under macosx (again)

j. van den hoff veedeehjay at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 23 23:32:44 CET 2014

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:31:46 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Am 23.12.2014 um 19:44 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez <oinos at gmx.es>:
>>
>> On 12/23/2014 05:42 PM, j. van den hoff wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> so I seem back to square one in this respect :-(.
>>> I can only assume that this has been caused by the `--reload' run (see
>>> item 1. above: intitially `optima' italics worked) and/or maybe still
>>> fragile support of these `ttc' (true type collection) files? just a
>>> guess.
>>>
>>> what am I doing wrong _this_ time?
>>
>> Hi Jörg,
>>
>> I cannot tell, but maybe there is something that might work.
>>
>> From your ConTeXt Suite directory, remove tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/.
>>
>> And then compile the documents with Optima and EB Garamond. (ConTeXt
>> will perform the required tasks before.)
>>
>> --reload didn’t work for me and this method worked. I remove
>> tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/ everytime I install a new font.
>
> There is no need to remove the latex-cache folder because you can use
> the force
> option (i.e. mtxrun —script font —reload —force) to rebuild the whole
> cache.

thanks to both of you. in fact, just doing `mtxrun —script font —reload
—force'
restored sane behaviour (italics back again etc.).

so, I understand that _this_ actually rebuilds the font data base? what,
then, is just issuing `--reload'
good for? I also don't understand, why `context' got apparently confused
(i.e. stopped recognizing `optima italics')
by issuing just `mtxrun —script font —reload' (which I did -- successfully
-- to make `context' recognize the newly
installed EB Garamond font).

joerg