[NTG-context] access to system fonts under MacOSX

j. van den hoff veedeehjay at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 21 22:45:30 CET 2014

On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 22:39:02 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com> wrote:

>> but I'm already stumbling about the next thing. while playing around
>> with
>> some nice fonts I also tried out `optima' (like palatino by h. zapf).
>> so that is what I see:
>>
>> mtxrun --script font --list --all --name --pattern=*optima*
>>
>> optima             optimaextrablack
>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   index:  0
>> optimablack        optimaextrablack
>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   index:  0
>> optimabold         optimabold
>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   index:  3
>> optimabolditalic   optimabolditalic
>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   index:  1
>> optimaextrablack   optimaextrablack
>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   index:  0
>> optimaitalic       optimaitalic
>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   index:  2
>> optimanormal       optimaitalic
>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   index:  2
>> optimaregular      optimaregular
>> /System/Library/Fonts/Optima.ttc   index:  4
>>
>> then, when using, e.g.,
>>
>> \definefontfamily [mainface] [serif] [Optima]
>> \definefontfamily [mainface] [sans]  [Optima]
>> \definefontfamily [mainface] [mono]  [dejavusansmono] [scale=0.865]
>> %dejavumono/optima x-height ratio
>> \definefontfamily [mainface] [math]  [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]
>> \setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]
>>
>> neither \it nor \bf (italic and bold) variants are working in the body
>> text (but are just rendered
>> in the regular \rm font).
>
> I guess your context version is too old because the current version in
> the standalone
> installation of context shows the italic and bold styles.

I use

mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.60
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | main context file:
/opt/local/share/texmf-texlive/tex/context/base/context.mkiv
mtx-context     | current version: 2014.05.21 22:04

do you have any idea whether this already is 'too old'? if it is: is it
recommendable to
actually install standalone context beside/instead of the version included
in texlive?
(I mean, if the actual goal is to write some documents rather than diving
deep into context for
its own sake ;-))