[NTG-context] How does \setupfloat work?

Robert Blackstone blackstone.robert at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 13:38:37 CET 2014

On 29 Nov 2014, at 11:49 ,  Mark Szepieniec <mszepien at gmail.com> wrote
> Sorry, I should have mentioned I was able to work around it by doing
> exactly that, but I'd rather not have to edit all the \placefigure
> instances if I decide to change the width.
>
> Also I'd like to use a different default width for graphics, so
> \setupexternalfigures[width=XXXcm] wouldn't work well either.
>
> I realize I could define my own macros or something to solve this, but I'm
> just puzzled that setting width in \setupfloat[figure] doesn't work. Am I
> reading the manual wrong, or is is just not implemented yet or something?
> (honest question)

Hi Mark,
What I would probably do (again) is:

1 leave out the float dimension from the setup and use something like
\definefloat[figure][figures]
\setupfloat[figure][location=,spacebefore=,spaceafter=,sidespacebefore=,sidespaceafter=] or whatever you want in this respect

2 collect in a separate .tex-file, to be input in your document .tex-file, all figure-data in the form
\useexternalfigure[Fig1][YourFigure1.png][width=.x\textwidth]%  etc

If you want a different uniform figure width you can then easily replace ijn this file all width=.x\textwidth by width=.y\textwidth.

3 In your document .tex-file use
\placefigure[here][Fig1]{Title}
{\externalfigure[Fig1]}

This will probably give you optimal flexibility.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone