[NTG-context] beta

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Nov 26 20:28:41 CET 2014

Hi,

I uploaded a new beta. The most interesting new thing is that the Lua
based hyphenator is now better integrated. I showed that one (plus some
features) at the last context meeting, and decided to clean it up a bit
and prepare it for extensions. It might become the default hyphenator at
some point. Performance is quite ok, especially when you take into
account that the amount of time spent on hyphenating is not that large.

You can test it with:

\setuphyhenation[method=traditional]

enables it and as by default we are a bit more tolerant to what a word
is, you can enforce a more strict behaviour with

\sethyphenationfeatures[strict]

It is possible to control some aspects (even within a paragraph) but
some of that is experimental. I'm working on a manual that explains
details about how hyphenation works and how one can write plugins.

There is already support for explicit hyphens and joiners (the default
set) and patterns as discussed in "Hyphenation in OpenOffice.org"
(TUGboat, Volume 27, 2006) should also work; you can for instance
register additional patterns like this:

\registerhyphenationpattern[en][eigh1tee/t=t,5,1]

But that's for the happy few who understand and/or love such weird
syntaxes. Anyway, this is the time to ask for more if you are in need,