[NTG-context] pgfplots broken?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Nov 5 11:40:07 CET 2014

On 11/5/2014 10:28 AM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:
>> Dear Mikael,
>>
>> An example from PGFPlots Gallery.
>> Please try if it works. Here on windows, it seems to work.
>> Attached files are tt.log.txt and tt.pdf.
>>
>> Best,
>> Akira
>

> Dear Akira,
>
> since loading the package generates the error, this example does not
> work either. I guess (hope) that the clash in version or what it is
> will be resolved soon.

the pgf file structure is just wrong, if you run this you can see where
is searched:

\starttext
     \startluacode
         package.helpers.trace = true
         io.savedata("foo.bar.lua",[[print("hello")]])
         require ("foo.bar")
     \stopluacode
\stoptext

so, if you want to

   require("foo.bar.whatever"

it should be e.g.:

  tex/generic/foo/bar/whatever.lua

when kpse is plugged into the package loader it might find
foo.bar.whatever.lua but context is not going to support that lookup; in
that case

dofile(resolvers.findfile("foo.bar.whatever.lua"))

has to be used.

Also keep in mind that dot separated filenames can conflict with module
initialization functions (e.g. when you have foo.core.lua it would load
foo and initialize using the core function in it). The require
functionality is already messy enough and adding all kind of catches to
it would make it worse.

(Context already has an extended and quite extensive loader, including
versions external libraries and so but that's another story.)