[NTG-context] Trying to emulate CSS "object-fit" behaviour...

Stuart Hungerford stuart.hungerford at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 00:36:51 CEST 2014

Hi,

I have a collection of PDF files of varying sizes and aspect ratios.
I'm currently using a combination and external figures to place these
into frames:

\setupexternalfigures[width=45.2mm, frame=off, factor=fit]

\setupcombinations[nx=5,ny=4,width=277mm,distance=10mm,after={\blank[10mm]}]

\setupframed[offset=1.0mm,background=color,rulethickness=0.25pt,backgroundcolor=white,framecolor=lightgray]

\starttext
  \startsection
    [title={title text}]
    \placefigure[here][nonumber]
      {\vspace more text}
      {\startcombination
        {\framed[]
          {\externalfigure[1.pdf][location=middle]}{}}{}

          %% and so on

This works well, but what I'd like to do is choose a fixed size frame
for each PDF and have ConTeXt fill the frame in the same way as these
CSS commands:

object-fit      : cover;
object-position : top left;
overflow        : hidden;

(http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-images/#the-object-fit)

That is, scale the PDF until all the frame is covered with some part
of the PDF, even if means overflowing the frame. The "overflow:
hidden" would then clip the overflow to the frame. Different PDF's
could have different scalings applied to make this work, which is fine
for this application.

I understand this may not be an idiomatic use of ConTeXt--any advice
or suggestions for alternate approaches much appreciated.

Stu