[NTG-context] E-books and XML.

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Aug 26 20:04:47 CEST 2014

On 8/26/2014 5:07 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> Context is moving toward accepting XML input,
> although the filtering process is necessarily
> complex. But what is also needed is a version
> of Context that produces well formed XML as an
> output. That would be a step toward producing a
> dual purpose document with Context, for print
> and for e-book use.

What do you mean with 'accepting' xml input? It accepts xml input
already for many years. And in mkiv filtering is part of the game too.

> Context users have invested time, often years, in
> learning how to write Context code. Writing XML is
> a whole other skillset, comparable to writing xhtml.

It's not so different if you're accustomed to structure.

> So is writing a Context to XML converter a
> possibility? A probability? The commercial
> program InDesign already has such a capability.

There are export possibilities (and there will be a bit more). This is a
topic at the upcoming ctx meeting (where we set priorities).