[NTG-context] Rotate does not work on externalfigure

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Wed Aug 20 18:00:29 CEST 2014

On 20 Aug 2014, at 17:47, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 20.08.2014 um 17:39 schrieb Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda at rna.nl>:

>>> You’re using the wrong key.
>>>
>>> \setupexternalfigures[location=default]
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \externalfigure[cow][width=4cm]
>>>
>>> \externalfigure[cow][width=4cm,orientation=90]
>>
>> This one has an interesting side effect. My image is wider than high. It was scaled too small so i wanted to rotate it and make it bigger. With this one it seems the bounding box is not rotated, so the top of the rotated picture is off the page.
>
> The dimensions are correct when you use MkIV.

I'd rather not change my production work to a research product :-) Too risky. And officially mkii is still maintained (or that is what I read).

>>> \rotate[rotation=90]{\externalfigure[cow][width=4cm]}
>>
>> This works better, but the figure's size is not changed. Apparently, the size is calculated before it is rotated. And these claculations stick in different ways.
>
> What do you expect, the width setting is for the unrotated figure.

Actually, I was not using width at all, just \externalfigure[foo]

I expected that \externalfigure[foo][orientation=90] would first rotate the figure and then calculate its size. But it did not. It put in a figure of 4x8, while telling TeX the box was 8x4.

I do expect that \rotate[rotation=90]{\externalfigure[foo][width=4cm]} gets me a height of 4cm.