[NTG-context] project structure

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Jul 27 15:59:35 CEST 2014

On 7/27/2014 1:24 PM, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 11:01:15 +0200, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a new experimental feature (one of the side effects of
>> discussions with Alan about bibliographies and using distributed files
>> in a project structure).
>>
>> Say that you have this:
>>
>> test1.tex : uses \component one/test2
>>
>> one/test2.tex : uses \component two/test3
>>
>> etc. There can be resources under one/two that test3 needs and one way
>> out is to add this path to the used paths. Doing that automatically can
>> result in side effects when multiple resources with the same name are
>> used.
>>
>> However, we now have a concept of the local job path, so when test2 is
>> read the jobfile: prefix will use path one, and when reading test3, that
>> prefix will trigger one/two usage.
>
> very nice and handy feature, thanks for that.
>
> Just a remark -
> - there was a similar prefix "toppath:" introduced some time ago.
>
> And - IIUC - "jobfile" refers to a dir rather than to a file, so
> wouldn't be better to call the prefix "jobdir:" or "jobpath:"?

The difference is that toppath: works on the input stack and jobfile: on
the accumulated subpaths (normally in a job structure) ... in fact, both
could work out the same but the top of the inputstack could be different
... it's all a matter of experiencing, so

\usepath[jobfile:]
\setupexternalfigures[directory=jobfile:]
\usepath[toppath:]
\setupexternalfigures[directory=toppath:]

could have the best of both worlds.

toppath == dir of top of inputstack
jobfile == dir of current jobfile

maybe jobpath is indeed better (i'll change it and keep the old one for
a while)