[NTG-context] Three questions about descriptions

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Fri Jul 25 22:03:25 CEST 2014

On 2014-07-25 14:56, Matthias Weber wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I’d like to use a mechanism that allows me to create an itemized list with my own labels like one can
> with descriptions:
>
> \definedescription[outline][
>      headstyle=bold,style=normal,alternative=hanging,margin=1cm,distance=-.8cm]
>
> \starttext
>
> \outline[Welcome] Tea
>
> \outline[Introduction] Tufte or Knuth?
>
> \outline[Snack] Chocolate Cake
>
> \outline[Discussion] Knuth or Tufte?
>
> \outline[Open End] Bear and wine
>
> \stoptext
>
> However, instead of the above I would like to
>
> — have the result “packed”, i.e. without lines between the descriptions
> — have a stopper (“:”) after the label
> — have the text of the description begin after the stopper and not at a fixed indentation (distance=…)
>
> How do I do that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthias

The following works, but I suspect that there may be a better way to get
the packing.

    \define[1]\outlinehead{#1:}
    \definedescription[outline]
    \setupdescription [outline]
                       [headstyle=bold,
                        style=normal,
    %                  alternative=hanging,
                        width=fit,
                        distance=1ex,
                        before={\blank[back]},
                        headcommand=\outlinehead,
                      ]

    \starttext

    \outline{Welcome} Tea

    \outline{Introduction} Tufte or Knuth? and more and more and more
    and more to see what hanging does.

    \outline{Snack} Chocolate Cake

    \outline{Discussion} Knuth or Tufte?

    \outline{Open End} Bear and wine

    \stoptext

Try it both with and without the hanging alternative.

And for me, beer is preferable to bear.
--
Rik