[NTG-context] Leave out reference to page if on the same page?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jul 25 17:44:47 CEST 2014

On 7/25/2014 4:34 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> On 2014-07-25 07:06, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 7/24/2014 2:03 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your attention, Wolfgang: indeed removing
>>>     \analyzecurrentreference
>>> from your example allows mkiv to typeset correctly and obtain the
>>> expected result.

>> yet another sparsely documented feature ... in beta:
>>
>> % tests/mkiv/pagestate-001.tex
>>
>> \useMPlibrary[dum]
>>
>> \setuppagenumbering
>>   [alternative=doublesided]
>>
>> % new: \setupreferencing[doublesided=no]
>>
>> % old: \somewhere{backward}{foreward}[label]
>> % new:
>> \someplace{preceding}{backward}{current}{foreward}{following}[label]
>> % old: \atpage[#label]
>> % new:
>> \doifcheckedpagestate{label}{preceding}{backward}{current}{foreward}{following}{otherwise}
>>

>> \starttext
>>
>> \dorecurse {20} {
>>     \placefigure
>>       [here]
>>       [fig:#1]
>>       {}
>>       {\externalfigure[dummy]}
>>     \dorecurse {20} {
>>         ##1: \atpage[fig:##1] /
>>         \doifcheckedpagestate{fig:##1}
>>          {preceding}
>>          {backward}
>>          {current}
>>          {foreward}
>>          {following}
>>          {otherwise}
>>     }
>> }
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> if okay, then it's something to wikify ... should
>> \setupreferencing[doublesided=no] be default? (currently yes i.e.
>> spread aware)
>>
>> keep in mind that this kind of functionality once it kicks in (is
>> used) can result in a few more runs to get thing right and that
>> there's always the danger of oscillation as the text injected is
>> dependent on the situation
>>
>> Hans
>
> This looks very promising. When I test it with today's beta, I see that
> "current" is set in some iterations, but never shows up in the final
> version of the page, so references on the same page always come out as
> "backward" or "forward".

well, in the case of 5 alternatives current will only happen when the
reference is at the *exact* spot as the thing referred to; so, in the
case of

   text [target] text [reference] text

the target is before the reference on the same page contrary to

   text \hbox to 0pt{[target]}\hbox to 0pt{[reference]} text

of course 'current' seldom happens but it's part of the solution set anyway