[NTG-context] underbraces get progressively more misaligned (w/ minimal example)

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 3 12:49:37 CEST 2014

I thought the problem might lie with the general
\definemathunderextensible (math-stc.mkvi), because underbrace is
defined as

\definemathunderextensible  [vfenced] [underbrace]    ["FE3DF]          % ["023DF]

Other underextensibles include \underbar:

\definemathunderextensible  [vfenced] [underbar]      ["FE33F]
% ["203E]

So I tried my example replacing \underbrace with \underbar but the
alignment comes out fine (and \overbrace works fine too).  So that
debugging idea didn't work, except to indicate that something special
about underbrace isn't working right.

Does anyone have suggestions for further debugging ideas?

-Sanjoy