[NTG-context] meeting

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jun 27 09:28:12 CEST 2014

On 6/27/2014 7:49 AM, Gour wrote:
> Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> writes:
>
>> In case you didn't consider it yet ... in a couple of months we have
>> the context meeting and this is a perfect opportunity to meet those
>> involved in development and support. You can participate in
>> discussions about upcoming developments, express wishes, get sneak
>> previews, get your problems solved (meetings are quite efficient for
>> that).
>
> For several years I'm TUG member and always add some small donations for
> the LuaTeX project, free fonts etc. so I wonder whether e.g. LuaTeX is
> really getting some support from TUG membership?

Tug and other user groups sponsor projects. In the beginning of Luatex
there were projects defined (the bulk of code conversion from pascalweb
to cweb + some extensions were a project), but the oriental tex project
also contributed. Mplib and metapost 2 coding were sponsored by groups
too. The crited project made it possible to integrate luajittex and
luatex and it also supports the rewrite of the bibliography subsystem in
mkiv (in fact this is the only time that writing related tex code is
sponsored).

Currently tug sponsors projects like texgyre and swiglib. The text and
math font project(s) are mandate for the (future) success of tex and
need substantial funding the upcoming decade too. We made estimates
during BT but expect most to be covered by usergroups, possible as long
as they have paying members. Groups that systematically contribute are
tug, dante, ntg, cstug and gust. Afaik the context group is considering
participation too.

The context group is in principle an independent entity (same level as
tex user groups) but can also support projects. For me, people meeting
(and making sure they can meet and discuss) is also a project.