[NTG-context] Preparing a weird index.

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Thu Jun 26 16:17:07 CEST 2014

john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> writes:

Hello,

> I have looked into Xindy for this job but the learning curve is pretty
> steep and the documentation pretty opaque. makeindex won't handle
> decimals for locators.

in the past when working on some books with the
English/Croatian/Sanskrit(diacritics) using Xindy in companion with
LyX/LaTeX was the only option to ger proper sorting.

I was playing with the ConTeXt more than 10 years ago, but lack of
proper docs was always keeping me back from fully embracing it.

Today after checking (again) I see that there are even some printed
books and MkIV/LuaTeX seems to be quite stable, so I wonder about
ConTeXt's capabilities to generate index/glossary in regard to xindy
which is powerful, but I never really grokked it properly?

Other typesetting features of ConTeXt are certainly very tempting and
along with Emacs/AUCTeX everything looks as very pleasant typesetting
environment.

@John: I'm curios if you were able to prepare desired index *without*
makeindex/xindy?

Sincerely,