[NTG-context] Problem in natural tables with nc= and alignmentcharacter

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Tue Jun 24 21:53:25 CEST 2014

On 2014-06-24 08:03, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 6/23/2014 10:50 PM, Peter Münster wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 23 2014, Peter Münster wrote:
>>
>>> No solution, just a smaller MWE:
>>
>> Yet smaller, but I don't know, if it's still the same problem:
>>
>> \starttext
>> \bTABLE
>> \bTR \bTD A xxxxxxxxxxxxx \eTD \bTD[nc=2] A \eTD \eTR
>> \eTABLE
>> \stoptext
>
> after lots of experiments (adapting the width guesser) i decided to
> stick to a simple check and warning; the first column will be ok but
> the second one to wide (btw, one solution was to set maxwidth to a
> large value)
>
> catching all possible errors in coding a table is undoable (plus
> unpredictable)
>
> (xtables work ok btw)
>
> Hans

Hans,

While xtable works fine for Peter's reduced MWE, it does not handle the
problem first presented, which includes an alignment character for
columns of mark-separated numbers. By my understanding of how xtable
works, I suspect that it will not be able to handle this requirement.

In this case I can get by with explicitly setting column widths as
needed to prevent the error. I have been using the following code to get
the width of what appears to be the widest element in a column:

    %% This gets the width of simple things; from Hans on the mailing
    %%   list http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/024390.html
    %%   example usage: \SetWidthOf{\ColContent}\to\ColContentWidth\relax
    %%   or: \SetWidthOf{Column Content}\to\ContentWidth\relax
    \def\SetWidthOf#1\to#2%
      {\bgroup
       \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{#1}%
       \expanded{\egroup\def\noexpand#2{\the\wd\scratchbox}}}

Is TABLE with explicit column widths the best solution for now on tables
that require number alignment, or do you recommend another table mechanism?

--
Rik