[NTG-context] understanding elements and \blank

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Sat Jun 14 11:28:14 CEST 2014

Dear list,

if I’m not wrong, elements are defined and configured in ConTeXt with
\defineelement and \setupelement in the preamble of the document. Then
they can be invoked using the identifier as a command.

  \definemargindata[MyMarginData][location=outer]
  \starttext
  \MyMarginData{Zapf}\input zapf
  \stoptext

My question is; why are blank elements different?

  \defineblank[MyBlank][10*big]
  \starttext
  \input zapf

  \blank[MyBlank]

  \input zapf
  \stoptext

Sorry for the basic question, but I’m trying to understand the reason
why to explain it to others.

Are there other elements that cannot be invoked with \identifier?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk