[NTG-context] Command for printing back of book index.

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon May 26 19:15:48 CEST 2014

On 5/26/2014 6:07 PM, john Culleton wrote:

> In the current General Manual section 12.7
> "Registers" the command for actually printing the
> back of book index is omitted. What is it? Is it
> the same for both MKII and MKIV?
>
> Does one run the command texutil separate from
> the context command (analogous to running the
> makeindex command in other versions of TeX)?
>
> I can create an index separate from context using
> a front end to makeindex that I wrote years ago
> but I prefer an embedded index.

producing an (sorted) index has always been integrated

- in mkii texexec handles it (using texutil for all multi-pass pre-
processing); the use never had to run texutil him/herself; in fact, i
once made a replacement in Lua so that we could avoid ruby but never
finished it read: had time to finish it

- in mkiv sorting the index is done internally

there has never been a reason for using something makeindex

Hans

ps. texutil itself went from modula-2 to perl to ruby ... so it's a real
ancient part of context