[NTG-context] Testing TeX Live 2014: last call

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri May 23 09:24:09 CEST 2014

On 5/23/2014 7:19 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Dear Pablo,
>
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> Only a question. When Luigi announced luajittex-0.78.2
>> (http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2014/076633.html), he commented
>> the possibility of having only luajittex in the future.
>>
>> What happened to that merging?
>
> You probably misunderstood the message. Luigi kept developing
> LuaJITTeX separately from LuaTeX until recently, at
> https://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/luajittex, so the two projects
> (luatex and luajittex) contained almost the same source code with only
> minor differences and we had to compile them separately. Both projects
> now coexist at https://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/luatex in the same
> subversion repository and both binaries are built from the same
> sources.

Concerning 'only luajittex' .. it will always be two separate binaries

- luajit is only available for some architectures
- luajittex has some memory constraints due to the different Lua vm

In context you use

mtxrunjit   ...
contextjit  ...

if you want the most efficient call, although (at least for now)

mtxrun --jit
context --jit

will also work (but starts up slower due to a relaunch, using some ugly
hacks).

On the average luajittex runs faster (some 15-20% normally, but it can
be less or more depending on how extreme Lua usage is).