[NTG-context] Entering text into layers

Keith McKay mckaymeister at gmail.com
Mon May 19 17:43:30 CEST 2014

Colleagues

I have been designing a simple document which comprises of 4 areas (3
for text, 1 for images) on an A4 page.  I thought that the best way to
do this would be using Layers and so far I come up with the code below
after scanning the wiki.  As you can see it is not very sophisticated,
but I'm not a regular user of Context.  The question I have is what
would be the best way to add text to the various layers?  Some would
have quite a lot of text and I was wondering if would be better to
define the text for the different layers in some way rather than enter
into the braces of \setlayerframed.  The code would look messy this
way.  Finally, can layers be positioned within layers or would it be
better to use overlays?  I'm thinking about adding three columns to the
Footer layer.

Thanks for your help

Best Wishes

Keith McKay

\setuplayout

[backspace=0cm,

cutspace=0cm,

width=fit,

topspace=0cm,

bottomspace=0cm,

header=0cm,

footer=0cm,

height=fit]

\setupexternalfigures[location={local,global}]

\definelayer[Logo]

\definelayer[Picture]

\definelayer[Text]

\definelayer[Footer]

\starttext

\strut

\setlayerframed[Logo][x=1cm,y=1cm]

[width=19cm,height=3cm,background=color,backgroundcolor=lightgrey]

{Some text in here}

\setlayerframed[Picture][x=1cm,y=5cm]
[width=6cm,height=19.7cm,background=color,backgroundcolor=lightgrey]{\externalfigure[picture.jpg][background={foreground,figure},maxwidth=6cm]}

\setlayerframed[Text][x=8cm,y=5cm]
[width=12cm,height=19.7cm,background=color,backgroundcolor=lightgrey]{Text
goes here}

\setlayerframed[Footer][x=1cm,y=25.7cm]

[width=19cm,height=3cm,background=color,backgroundcolor=lightgrey]

{Footer goes here}

\setupbackgrounds[text][background={Logo,Picture,Text,Footer}]