[NTG-context] Using the margin for two purposes

Matthias Weber matweber at indiana.edu
Sun May 18 15:50:20 CEST 2014

Thanks Rik,

that is very helpful. Now I am having some difficulties with coordinating the \inmargins with the marginrules.

In the example below, I notice the oddity that \startmarginrule[2] is closer to the text than \startmarginrule[1]
or \startmarginrule[3], which are at equal distance. I can live with that.

There are only three things I’d like to improve:

i) I’d like to put my default  \inmargin arguments into the setup, but I can’t figure out whether to use \setupinmargin
or \setupinmargindata, and where to put the arguments.

ii) Ideally I’d like to use a description to be able to write \startgreenline … \stopgreenline, and I have tried this with
\setupdescription, but failed.

iii) Dream: Instead of solid margin rules I would love to have other options, like squiggly lines, dashed, dotted.

Thanks!

Matthias

\setupmarginrule[rulethickness=.1pt] % works

\setupmargindata[][align=middle,width=2cm] %???

\definedescription[greenline] % ???
[before={\setupmarginrule[rulecolor=green]
\indenting[no]
\startmarginrule[2]},
after={\stopmarginrule}
]

\starttext

\inmargin[method=first][frame=on,corner=round] {Read\\this\\first}
\setupmarginrule[rulecolor=red]
\indenting[no]
\startmarginrule[1]
\input{knuth}
\stopmarginrule

\inmargin[method=first][frame=on,corner=round,align=middle,width=2cm,offset=3pt] {Read\\this\\second}
\setupmarginrule[rulecolor=green]
\indenting[no]
\startmarginrule[2]
\input{tufte}
\stopmarginrule

\inmargin[][frame=on,corner=round,align=middle,width=2cm] {Read\\this\\third}
\setupmarginrule[rulecolor=blue]
\indenting[no]
\startmarginrule[3]
\input{knuth}
\stopmarginrule

\inmargin[][frame=on,corner=round,align=middle,width=2cm] {Read\\this\\fourth}
\setupmarginrule[rulecolor=black]
\indenting[no]
\startmarginrule[4]
\input{knuth}