[NTG-context] LuaTeX-plain File Database Problem

AĆ­re Funvake aire.funvake at gmail.com
Thu May 15 23:23:07 CEST 2014

On Thu May 15 23:07:40 2014, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2014, Aíre Funvake wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Never felt so incompetent in my life -- just cannot get LuaTeX to
>> find fonts or `*.tex` files for use with `\input <filename>`, or
>> `font\xxx = <font-or-filename>`. Even though, these commands were
>> executed (all I could find):
>>
>>   mktexlsr
>>   mtxrun --script base --generate
>>   luatools --generate
>>   context --generate
>>   mtxrun --script fonts --update --force
>>   mtxrun --script fonts --udpate --simple
>>
>> Tried putting files in (in the roots and subdirectories):
>>
>>   ~/texmf
>>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-project
>>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-local
>>   ~/ctx/tex/texmf-fonts
>>
>> Checked if the file could be found:
>>
>>   luatools --find-file xxxx.tex   <--- finds it
>>   luatools --find-file xxx.otf    <--- finds it
>>   mtxrun --locate xxxx.tex        <--- finds it
>>   mtxrun --locate xxx.otf         <--- finds it
>>   kpsewhich/where                 <--- finds only if in `~/texmf`
>>
>> In .tex file (even when files are in `~/texmf` dir):
>>
>>   \input xxxx  or xxxx.tex        <--- no luck
>>   \font\myfont = name:xxxx        <--- no luck
>>   \font\myfont = file:xxxx.otf    <--- no luck
>>
>> Sorry, but reading and searching for hours did not bring any solu-
>> tion. Not sure if there is a configuration file like `texmf.cnf` or
>> the `context.cnf` that must be modified, or and environment var-
>> iable like `TEXMFHOME` (default seems to be `~/texmf`, and that's
>> OK, if only it would only work).
>>
>> Sorry to spam this list with questions which may seem very
>> fundamental to you. Hope to be able to reciprocate sometime.
>> What am I missing?
>
> Read about TDS (TeX Directory Structure).
>
> You need to put files in $TEXMF/tex/plain/ subdirectory for Plain
> format to find it, or in $TEXMF/tex/generic/ subdirectory for all
> macro packages (plain, latex, context) to find it.
>
> Aditya

Thank you, will re-read it forthwith, must have missed something.
It just feels wrong to put re-usable project files inside the
distribution tree. Still feel like an idiot, if not more so.

Can anyone enlighten me then as to the purpose of `$HOME/texmf`,
`$TEXMF/tex/texmf-local`, `$TEXMF/tex/texmf-fonts`, etc.,
considering they are all, for example, configured in the file:
`$TEXMF/tex/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf`? Which I assumed incorrectly
it seems, the name resolvers would use.

Thanks a lot again, I realise this must be beneath you all,
Aíre.