[NTG-context] \pm set too low in MkIV?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue May 6 21:08:15 CEST 2014

On 5/6/2014 8:28 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for your attention to the issue pointed out by Sanjoy.
>
> On 6 mai 2014, at 20:14, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl
> <mailto:pragma at wxs.nl>> wrote:
>> […]
>> all minus' are below the baseline so consider it a feature
>
> Yes this is the case in recent versions of mkiv, but in Plain TeX and
> mkii this is not the case: there the minus sign in \pm is aligned with
> the baseline.
>
> I agree with Sanjoy and Mikael to say that it the minus sign in \pm
> should be aligned with the baseline: however I don’t know if this can be
> easily achieved.

so how about \mp then ...

\starttext
                                $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
     \switchtobodyfont[pagella] $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
     \switchtobodyfont[termes]  $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
     \switchtobodyfont[cambria] $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
     \switchtobodyfont[bonum]   $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
     \switchtobodyfont[schola]  $x \pm 2 + \mp x + a $\par
\stoptext

the + aligns on the math axis so one can argue if the type-one variant
is ok ... so we would need a smaller (less height) + then which would
look visually weird

(all can be achieved ... but the idea of lm/gyre fonts is to provide an
acceptable consistent set ... at some point we can think of variants -
or maybe the fonts have a variant already)