[NTG-context] Calling fonts (was: Hebrew vowel placement in ConTeXt)

Michael Ash mash at econs.umass.edu
Mon May 5 17:29:57 CEST 2014

> ... see message 56606
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context%40ntg.nl/msg56606.html> in the
> list archive. This is not the post-simplefonts solution, but the
> pre-simplefonts solution. It does allow much better control over all of
> the fonts that make up the typeface (using ConTeXt terminology).

> If you set only some Hebrew/Aramaic/Arabic, and especially if you do not
> need font variants (bold, italic, ...) you might prefer to define a
> single font.

Thank you very much again.  This was helpful, and here is my minimal
working example:

\definefontfeature[hebrew][default][script=hebr,ccmp=yes]
\definefont [myhebrew] [SILEOTSR.ttf*hebrew]
\setupdirections[bidi=on,method=two]

\starttext
Here is the first line of the Bible.

{\myhebrew  בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת
הָאָֽרֶץ׃  }
\stoptext

I still have some questions.  It took me a long time to understand that

\definefont [myhebrew] [SILEOTSR.ttf*hebrew]

would use the fontfeature "hebrew" that I had defined together with the
font file SILEOTSR.ttf and assign this pairing to the nickname "myhebrew".
 Rik's example also has "sa 1" which I do not understand.

\definefontfeature [aramaic] [default][ccmp=yes,script=hebr]
\definefont [aramaic] [KeterYG-Medium.ttf*aramaic sa 1]

Is the syntax for definefont using "*" documented somewhere?  Is it similar
to definefontsynonym at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX  (and
below)?

I also do not understand the full syntax from the referenced message.  Here
is my best effort to annotate it, but I would appreciate corrections or
additions

%% The following defines the fontfeature "hebrew"

%% which can then be applied to a font.

%% definefontfeature is documented at

%% http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/definefontfeature

%% and the available features are specific to the font

%% e.g. http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/featurelist.htm

\definefontfeature[hebrew][default][script=hebr,ccmp=yes,mark=yes]

%% I am confused below.  When was font:fallback:serif defined?

%% Why file: but features= ?

%% How will the  fontsynonym "Serif" function?

\starttypescript [serif] [ezrasil]

  \setups[font:fallback:serif]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif] [file:sileot] [features=hebrew]
\stoptypescript

%% Still confused
\starttypescript [ezrasil]
  \definetypeface  [ezrasil] [rm] [serif] [ezrasil] [default]
  \quittypescriptscanning
\stoptypescript

%% Sets the main body to the font

%% that has been named and given features

\setupbodyfont[ezrasil]

%% Would an alternative at this point be to use

%% \definefont [myezrasil] [ezrasil]

%% to define a single font and  then use {\myezrasil בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית}
for short passages

\setupalign[r2l]

\starttext

בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃
\stoptext

Thank you again for your guidance.

Best,

Michael