[NTG-context] Proper setting of font features for protrusion/expansion

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com
Sun May 4 21:39:55 CEST 2014

Am 04.05.2014 um 19:34 schrieb Jan Tosovsky <j.tosovsky at email.cz>:

> Dear All,
>

> e.g. in the last example at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Protrusion there
> is the following definition:
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][expansion=quality,protrusion=quality]
>

> I understand it overrides default settings and adds these two features.
>
> In my code I use the following shortcut found somewhere:
>
> \definefontfamily[palatino][rm][Palatino Linotype][features={default,
> quality}]
>

> Both features works, but I am not sure if I am getting the best quality.
>
> Is there any description what that '[features={default, quality}]' option
> really does?

When you apply features to a font you can set a list of features and all of them will be applied.

In the example below you can see both methods, the first text uses the new featurelist
“testfeature” which uses “default” and extends it with “protrusion=quality”. The second
text applies the two predefined lists “default” and “quality” (which sets “protrusion=quality”
and “expansion=quality”).

\setupalign[hanging]

\definefontfeature[testfeature][default][protrusion=quality]

\showframe[text][text]

\starttext

\startfont[Serif*testfeature]
\input knuth