[NTG-context] Hebrew vowel placement in ConTeXt. (Rik Kabel)

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Sun May 4 01:52:43 CEST 2014

On 2014-05-03 17:16, Michael Ash wrote:

> Thank you very much for the reply.
> I switched to ConTeXt standalone and now it is working.
>
> Best,
> Michael
>

> This works:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \definefontfeature[hebrew][default][script=hebr,ccmp=yes]
> \setmainfont[Ezra SIL SR][features=hebrew]
> \setupdirections[bidi=on]
> \starttext
> ?????????? ?????? ????????? ???? ?????????? ?????? ????????
> \stoptext
>

> BTW what is the \definefontfamily syntax that would work with
> \setupbodyfont in the new post-simplefonts era?
>
> Best,
> Michael

As to the by-the-way, see message 56606
<http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context%40ntg.nl/msg56606.html> in the
list archive. This is not the post-simplefonts solution, but the
pre-simplefonts solution. It does allow much better control over all of
the fonts that make up the typeface (using ConTeXt terminology).

The example shows what to do to set a document that is primarily Hebrew
(or other RtL script). If you want to mix directions, bidi may be a
better choice than the setupalign of the example. If you use bidi, I
suggest \setupdirections[bidi=on,method=two]. I find that without method
two, there is a problem with punctuation. In particular, the comma in

    some text {\heb *????*}, some more text

gets set before, not after, the hebrew text.

If you set only some Hebrew/Aramaic/Arabic, and especially if you do not
need font variants (bold, italic, ...) you might prefer to define a
single font. I have used:

    \definefontfeature [aramaic]
                        [default]
                        [ccmp=yes,
                         script=hebr]
    \definefont        [aramaic]%% KeterYG from
    http://culmus.sourceforge.net/taamim/
                        [KeterYG-Medium.ttf*aramaic sa 1]
    \setupdirections   [bidi=on=,method=two]
    \starttext
    English {\aramaic ???? ???} English again.
    \stoptext

I do note as well that there is a problem in the example in the linked
message. It looks to me like the order of components is beth/shva/dagesh
(for the first letter (and beth/qamatz/dagesh for the first of the
second word), which ConTeXt sets incorrectly.  When the order is changed
to beth/dagesh/qamatz-or-shva, they are set correctly. If you use vim,
the command ga will show the decomposition of the character components.

Here are the two versions of that letter, first in the order that sets
correctly:

    ???

and then in the order that does not:

    ???