[NTG-context] too many open files?

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Thu May 1 11:27:10 CEST 2014

Am 2014-05-01 um 05:13 schrieb Andrea Valle <valle at di.unito.it>:

> Dear,
>
> I’m compiling the new version of my manual on the SuperCollider language, using a project structure, and I’m including a lot of pdfs, as I’m automatically generating figures containing colorised code that have to included  in the book. Btw I’m quite happy of the results! Thanks to devs for your work.
>
> Anyway, I’m stuck at this. I’m getting this error, seems related to the number of included pdfs
>
>  </paperiProgetti/SC/introSC/code/controlli/map.pdfI/O Error: Couldn't open file '/paperiProgetti/SC/introSC/code/controlli/map.pdf': Too many open files.
>
> !LuaTeX error: xpdf: reading PDF image failed
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> What can I do?

See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond#Too_many_open_files :

*Too many open files*

With bigger projects ... you might run into "too many open files" errors, at least in Linux, OSX and other Unix-like OSes.
Ask your shell about the open files maximum and set it higher:

 $ ulimit -n
 256
 ulimit -S -n 2048

Greetlings, Hraban