[NTG-context] OT: looking for a "soviet" font

Joshua Krämer joshua.kraemer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 19:15:41 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-15, 11:37, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> for a new project I’m looking for a body font that fits Soviet
> Modernism. I’d like to have OpenType, high typographical quality,
> good readability as body text, latin and cyrillic glyphs. Free would
> be great, but I’d also buy.

The most used Soviet typeface is Literaturnaya.  You can find it here
for example:

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/paratype/literaturnaya/

There is also a free digital version available.  (I think you can find
it on the CTAN).  But all digital versions I know of are not really
well-suited for body text (they are quite thin, obviously based on a
display size of the original typeface).

A derived typeface which is a bit better for text is Quant Antiqua:

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/paratype/quant-antiqua/

While Literaturnaya/Quant are surely the best matches for Soviet
typography in general, they may not be the best match for Soviet
modernism. Maybe Baltica could fit better:

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/paratype/baltica/

Generally, I suggest to search through the ParaType offerings.  They
have many nice typefaces, which are not expensive.

Kind regards,
Joshua Krämer